Saturday 15 May 2010

Whoopie Pie day


Having finally got round to creating a blog, it's taken me two days to get time to actually write on it... and now that I'm here, what do I write?! Over the last few days I've had loads of times I've thought 'ooh, that would be a good thing to blog' and naturally, now, I've either forgotten or it's not relevant.

Anyway, my day today.... has mostly been spent baking Whoopie Pies. Oh yes, they have well and truly landed (in my tummy anyway). They're great - reasonably simple to make, and very tasty too. Rumoured to be a replacement for the cupcake - and I can see why. No icing-up-your-nose incidents as I've heard cupcakes can cause.

I made the original flavour Whoopie Pies today - quite similar to a sponge cake batter, with buttermilk and salt added. Filled with buttercream, as personally I'm not too sure about the marshmallow filling thing.... then got carried away with icing on top, silver balls, edible glitter and stars and butterflies (from Chatawak, a great cake stuff shop not a million miles from me - spent far too long in there going 'ooh sparkly')

Then once iced I spent hours hanging round the kitchen waiting for the sun to shine to get some decent photos... that was fun. It finally came out about 6.45pm when I was at a 4 yr olds birthday party about 5 miles away.

Results:



Have a look at the website for other Whoopie Pies and a bit about their history.

Will try and pin down the recipe I used and post it here tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment