Sunday 18 July 2010

How to Make Bunting

Having broken myself gently into sewing - with a machine, and straight lines only - over the last five years, I found myself gaily offering to 'knock up' some bunting for a good friend's wedding. How do I always volunteer myself for things?! Then when Ruth (Ruth's of Cooksbridge Cupcakes)mentioned wanting some to decorate the stall I thought great, two birds with one stone. I had ages to do it so I filed it in the back of my mind - with a lot of other junk - and tried not to think about it. Then suddenly it was two weeks till our appearance at the Uckfield Festival, and I hadn't even looked at how to make it, let alone got any fabric.

A quick Google scour and charity shop scavenge later, and I was nearly ready. I ordered some bias binding tape (from this lovely site), and once that arrived it was all systems go.

How to make bunting
Decide on the size of your flags, then cut out a card template (cornflake packets are perfect).
Lay your fabric out flat (if it's creased it really is worth I.R.O.N.I.N.G. it...) draw round the template using chalk, and cut out.
Pin the fabric triangles to the bias binding tape.
Sew them on with a sewing machine.

Tip
It is far easier and quicker to sew in one continuous length along the bias binding tape rather than stopping and starting for each individual flag - like I did for the first 5 metres......

Photos will follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment